The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF now simply Air Force) created Wings magazine in April 1943 to boost the morale of our airmen and airwomen committed to conflict, who by that time numbered 144,000. In 1946, Wings was transferred to the RAAF Association (now re-titled the Air Force Association), whose numbers had grown markedly with demobilised RAAF personnel.
Over the following 74 years, Wings progressed through a number of changes in publishers, presentation and content. Today’s Wings looks and feels very different to the first issue; the result of a new publisher accepting the challenge to re-invigorating the magazine and increase its appeal to a wider audience. It is now a high-quality, coffee-table-style magazine with broad appeal to anyone with an interest in aviation.
RAAFANSW Publications Pty Ltd, trading as RAAFA Publications, produces Wings on behalf of the Air Force Association. RAAFA Publications is a not-for-profit company fully owned by the NSW Division of the Air Force Association.
The RAAFA Publications Board comprises five members as follows:
- Air Vice Marshal (retd) Neil Smith, AM, MBE, BE(Aero), FRAeS – Managing Director;
- Wing Commander (retd) Alan Wylie, DipAeroEng, BLegS – Director and Company Secretary;
- Mr Philip Speet Financial Director, MBA, BBus, FCPA – Financial Director;
- Wing Commander (retd) Peter Ring, AM, AFC – Director
- Wing Commander (retd) Ron Haack DipAvMil tp - Director
- Group Captain Peter Cluff – ex-officio member as Senior Australian Defence Force Officer (SADFO) at RAAF Base Williamtown.
Resumes for board members can be accessed here.
Our Publishing Team
Production Management. Coordination of Wings is performed by the Wings Manager; Wing Commander (retd) Ron Haack, a former RAAF experimental test pilot and retired Qantas Pilot.
Editorial. RAAFA Publications’ Chief Editor, Ms Sandy McPhie, is a broadly experienced professional who, over the past 30 years, has been editor of magazines for companies such as Bauer, Pacific Magazines and NRMA. Sandy is supported by the following assistant editors:
- Air Vice Marshal (retd) Bob Treloar, AO, MID: Military Aviation;
- Air Vice Marshal (retd) John Kindler, AO, AFC: Aviation Industry;
- Mr Michael Nelms: Aviation History; and
- Air Commodore Robert Brown Personal Finance.
Resumes for our Wing assistant editors can be accessed here.
Ms Katie Monin, BDES (Graphic Design); a graphic designer of 20 years’ experience.
David Jones is the advertising sales executive
Air Force Association (AFA), also referred to as the RAAF Association (RAAFA), is a charitable not-for-profit organisation with Divisions in each state and territory of Australia. RAAFA Publications is owned by the NSW Division.
The Air Force Association is committed and dedicated towards:
- Supporting Air Force Veterans and their dependants;
- Providing assistance, advocacy and benefits to the wounded, injured or those with illness as a consequence of military service;
- Preserving the memory of past relatives, friends and veterans;
- Preserving the heritage and traditions of the Royal Australian Air Force;
- Commemorating the service and sacrifice of Australian service men and women
- Developing the Association to ensure its continued relevance; and
- Securing the means to further those objectives.
+61 0416 077 770
+61 0414 492 401
Advertising and Marketing Executive
+61 0412 188 100